About eumatters.ieOther Department of Foreign Affairs websites: DFAIrish Aid

EU Matters.ie - Information about Ireland's membership of the EU


Everyone loves going on holidays. And the EU makes holidaying in Europe even easier!


And it’s good to know that when you go abroad to another EU country, you can avail of any emergency medical treatment you might need while there through the EHIC (European Health Insurance Card) system. You may have known this as the E111.

For more details on how to get your EHIC card visit www.ehic.ie. Hopefully, you won’t need to use it, but better be safe than sorry!

For peace of mind, remember that 112 is the phone number to call emergency services throughout the EU, from fixed or mobile phones, free of charge.

Find out more about this EU-wide emergency number and how it works:

You have an old version of Adobe's Flash Player. Get the latest Flash player.